THE NATIONAL CHARITY ESTABLISHMENTS OF CONSTANTINOPLE - BALOUKLI HOSPITAL (1999)
Fokion Sidiropoulos

Price: € 48.00

Publisher: Foundation of the Hellenic World
453 Pages
ISBN: 960-7957-04-0
Code: 00.10.91.0446
Availability: Available

The book of Fokionas Sidiropoulos presents the history of the "National Hospitals" starting from the second half of the 18th century till the present days. Beginning from the hospitals-shelters of Byzantium that were affiliated with monasteries and provided for the weak and poor, the hospices of the Hellenic community marked the historical course of Hellenism in Constantinople.

The first part of the book surveys the chronicles of the four hospitals established by the Hellenic community in Constantinople during the 18th century: the hospice of Gemitzides at Galatas, Peioglou hospital at Stavrodromi, the plague hospital of Baloukli/Gouladon and the lunatic asylum at Egrikaptos. Each hospital followed a separate path until 1794 when they came under the authority of the Common Fund, administered by the Ephorate. In 1839, after a series of epidemics in Constantinople, they merged under "Baloukli Hospital" at Eptapirgio.

In the second part of the book, the writer studies the course of the Charity Establishments from the early 20th century till now; a course that was marked by the spring and decline of the Hellenic community in Constantinople. The wealth of the Hellenic community signified the "golden age" of the hospitals whereas the dominance of the Neoturks, the Balkan Wars, the expatriation of the Greeks and the Catastrophe of Asia Minor in 1932 charted the hospitals in a different state; they became known as Balikli Rum Hastahanesi. A short period of mild relationships (1947-1955) between Greece and Turkey was inhibited by "the night of Septembrianon" in 1955 and the expulsions in 1964.

An unpublished text entitled "Baloukli" presenting the history of the Charity Establishments in Constantinople, is also included in the book. The text was probably written in the 50's for the 200 years anniversary of the first hospital established by the Hellenic community in Constantinople, and provides evidence of the fine relationships between Greece and Turkey.

The Book is on sale at the Museum Shop, in the Cultural Centre of FHW, as well as at major bookstores in Greece. For further information contact the Museum Shop of the Cultural Centre, tel.: +(30) 212 254 0000 or write at sales@ime.gr.

Price includes VAT 19%
First page 
FHW's Publications 
Printed Publications 
Artistic design of areas 


Search
anywhere
title
writer

 FHW
SEARCH
SITE MAP
NEWSLETTER
CONTACT
ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΑ


copyright © 2006 FOUNDATION OF THE HELLENIC WORLD